Join a team that makes a difference
Victoria's peak farmer representative group, the Victorian Farmers Federation, is seeking an experienced Manager for the Grains commodity to drive key reforms and meet the needs of our members and engage with a diverse stakeholder group.
About the role
This position provides an opportunity for a commercially focused individual to drive stakeholder engagement and management activities together with the development and management of policy and member services for the Grains Commodity. The key focuses of this role are industry advocacy for Victorian Farmers and membership development. The Commodity Manager oversees a small and passionate team that deliver the advocacy efforts of the VFF for the Commodity. Experience in industry and the agricultural sector are essential.
Key responsibilities include:
- Develop an operation plan and strategy for the Commodity that aligns with the strategic direction of the VFF.
- Actively engage and manage relations with a diverse stakeholder group, including trade, industry, Government and producers.
- Drive and deliver membership growth, increasing market share and development of member networks in conjunction with the broader VFF
- Identify needs and issues that affect VFF members and develop opportunities and prospective partnerships with stakeholders
- Provision of high-level advice to elected councils and elected representatives.
- Lead community relations and the stakeholder engagement agenda for the commodity
- Deliver the best solution pathway to address issues of policy and stakeholder interest
- Co-ordinate Commodity lobbying activity, to ensure appropriate interaction with political and corporate interests.
- Maintain strong communication and engagement with members in relation to policy outcomes and position affecting the Grains commodity
The VFF offers a flexible and positive environment, you will be joining a team who are actively advocating for the best outcomes and issue resolution for our farming community. This position gives you the opportunity to manage membership activity including events, campaigns, communications and sponsorship as well as providing expert advice to the Commodity President, Commodity Council and members of the commodity.
Skills and experience
The ability to develop and maintain networks, manage a diverse stakeholder group, strategic planning and policy development skills are paramount for this position. Ideally you will have a recognized degree and/or significant industry experience. Proven stakeholder engagement and management and lobbying are necessary for selection for this role.
Other skills required include:
- Membership network development and engagement
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills with the ability to establish and foster strong networks within the agricultural sector.
- The ability to work in consultation with the VFF membership and Commodity council to identify, analyse, execute and monitor policy outcomes.
- The ability to manage a small team. Your team must not only be proactive but be able to respond to rapidly evolving issues.
- Experience in a similar management capacity including the administration of a divisional budget, with the ability to respond to and provide direction on rapidly evolving issues.
- Highly developed analytical and conceptual skills, including demonstrated ability to assimilate new concepts and information, and devise solutions to complex policy issues.
- Highly developed negotiation skills with the ability to resolve stakeholder conflicts and develop mutually acceptable outcomes for all parties as well as an understanding of the best medium to communicate issues that arise
- Knowledge of the agricultural and farming sector with the ability to establish a presence in this sector/Grains commodity
- A demonstrated understanding of agriculture and rural issues, or the ability to quickly acquire an understanding of these issues.
- Experience in establishing strong professional and collaborative working relationships across a broad stakeholder base
- An understanding of Government processes, local, state and federal
- Strong organisational skills with an ability to manage competing priorities in a busy and high-pressure environment.
- Resilience, initiative, clear communication and strong interpersonal skills are necessary to succeed in this position
- A current Australian Driver Licence is essential.
The salary range is $85,000 - $120,000 per annum plus superannuation, commensurate with knowledge and experience.
Melbourne or regional (VFF Bendigo office) based for the right candidate.
The selection criteria can be found in the position description on the VFF website: www.vff.org.au/careers/
For more information contact the VFF Workplace Relations Department on 1300 442 481 or email@example.com
Applications close Monday 19 March, 2018